New York is a popular travel destination amongst Irish travellers. The ever-changing World City attracting over 130 million tourists each year is one of the best getaway destinations for leisure or business travellers.
A trip to New York can never get you bored. Being one of the world’s most internationalised cities, New York boasts an incredible amount of restaurants, museums, iconic cultural landmarks, and much more to get you amazed throughout your trip!
However, travelling from Dublin to New York requires a little preparation. Not only is the city quite a distance across the Atlantic, but there are also some useful things to think about prior to travelling.
Our experts at Trazler have put together a useful article to guide you through booking your flights and hotel in New York, in an attempt to make travelling a whole lot easier for you!
Preparing for your trip to New York well in advance
Although New York is a popular destination for European – and especially Irish – travellers, there are still a couple things to think about before leaving. Read along to find out more.
Book well in advance
We can only emphasise this enough, book your trip well in advance! If you’re looking to save both time and money on your holidays, then booking ahead is probably the best advice we’ve got for you. Booking several months in advance can help you save up to 40% on your overall travel costs, so that’s definitely something to consider for long journeys!
Ensure you have the appropriate travel documentation
This goes without saying: ensure you have the appropriate travel documentation to get to New York. To do so, make sure you have a valid passport. Good news: the Irish and US government have an agreement so there is no 6-month minimum passport validity period. All you need is an up-to-date passport valid for the total duration of your stay.
Another good news is that you no longer need any Covid-19 proof of vaccination to enter the US, so there’s nothing to worry about in this regard!
Apply for an ESTA or Visitor Visa
You won’t be able to travel to New York without authorisation for entry into US territory. As an Irish citizen, you are entitled to apply to the electronic system for travel authorisation (ESTA) since Ireland is a part of the US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP). Current ESTA application costs are $21, so make sure to apply for yours ahead of travelling.
If you are not eligible to the VWP or your ESTA has been denied, you may have to apply for a Visitor Visa (B1/B2). This procedure takes more time to be processed, so be sure to apply a couple weeks or months ahead to fulfil requirements. Get yours now without further ado.
Make all other necessary administrative arrangements
Travelling to a foreign country may sometimes get a little overwhelming. Luckily for you, we’ve got your back at Trazler and we’ll help facilitate the process as much as we can!
Start off by visiting the US Embassy in Dublin’s useful travel FAQ to make sure you have all the correct documentation to travel, or simply to answer your questions. Also, be sure to visit the Irish Embassy in Washington’s website before you leave, as well as get yourself known to your diplomatic and consular representatives in the case of any unforeseen event. Find out more about travelling abroad with the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs’ Travel Wise page, or their “Know before you go” guide.
Lastly, saving some useful contact information on your phone can come in handy, although – fingers crossed – you won’t need to use them:
- US emergency services (including police, fire brigade and ambulance services): 911;
- Embassy of Ireland in Washington: + 1-202-462-3939.
Please note, the country-specific caller code in the US is +1.
Booking your flight from Dublin to New York with Trazler
Trazler tips for booking smarter
Once your administrative requirements are sorted, it’s time to move on to booking your flights from Dublin to New York. Tralzer has got your back and helps you book in a smart and efficient way! Consider the following tips to save both time and money on your stay:
- Book your flight from Dublin to New York in advance. We’ve been through this, but can only emphasise this enough. Booking in advance is one of the smartest decisions you can make!
- Travel to New York during off-peak season. The peak season to travel from Dublin to New York is from June to August, meaning that plane tickets can get quite expensive. To be sure to book smart, consider travelling in the Spring or Autumn to save up to 50% on your overall travel costs. You’ll thank us later.
- Book a midweek flight and travel early in the morning or late in the evening to ensure you make the best value for your money. Getting to the airport early or getting home late may be a bit of hassle, but it may be worth the pain afterall!
- Consider booking a connecting flight instead of a direct flight from Dublin to New York. This useful tip can help you save up to €300 per passenger, so make sure you compare options before choosing your flight.
All things considered, booking smart requires a couple steps. Trazler’s efficient and ergonomic booking platform makes your life a whole lot easier in comparing your flight options and getting the most out of your trip from Dublin to New York.
Frequently asked questions about flying from Dublin to New York
You may have a couple practical questions about flying from Dublin to New York. Get answers to the most frequently asked questions below:
- The average flight time from Dublin to New York is 7 hours and 40 minutes, excluding connecting flights.
- 18 direct flights operate between Dublin and New York every day, that is 126 flights a week. Head to our smart online comparator to find the one that works out best for you!
- The cheapest months to fly from Dublin to New York are February and March, during off-season travels.
- Airlines operating direct flights between Dublin and New York include Aer Lingus, JetBlue and British Airways.
- The four main airports in New York are: John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), LaGuardia Airport (LGA) and Newark International Airport (EWR). JFK is the most central airport, but consider booking connecting flights to the other two for more cost-effective tickets!
Book your airport transfer options
Thanks to Trazler, booking your airport transfer options is swift and efficient. Once on our booking platform, select your travel dates and flights, and let us do the rest! Consider the following options to get from the airport to your hotel:
- Take the New York subway system to the AirTrain in Midtown Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn to get you straight to JFK Airport. Prices range from $5 to $10. For other New York airports, check your airport of arrival’s website.
- Take a yellow taxi cab to the city centre. This is probably the most convenient mode of transport to get to your accommodation from the airport, but it also comes at a certain cost: approximately $50 for an airport transfer. Please note that traffic in New York can get busy, so taking the taxi may sometimes not be the quickest way of travel.
- Take a transfer coach. This is most probably the cheapest option to get from the airport to your hotel, much cheaper than taking the taxi. Make sure to check your travel itinerary ahead of travel for your peace of mind.
- Consider booking a car rental with Tralzer to make travelling from the airport as easy as possible. Compare a wide range of options, prices, capacity and user ratings to make the most informed decision.
Booking your hotel in New York
Use Trazler to pick the best hotel for you in New York
Trazler’s smart and efficient online booking platform has it all in one place: flights, hotels, transfers and car rentals. Simply enter your preferred travel dates and the number of people you are travelling with, and let us do the rest! You’ll be able to choose from a wide range of hotels in all parts of the city.
Make an informed decision using Trazler user reviews and ratings
Because we’re concerned about making your experience of booking hotels in New York the easiest it can get, be sure to make use of all available tools at hand! All our proposed hotels and accommodations have user reviews and ratings, directly accessible from the online booking comparator, so make sure you check this out before making a decision!
Check availability and choose your room type and optional services preferences
Once you’ve got your selected hotel at hand, click “check availability” and make your booking according to your preferred room type and optional services preferences.
For instance, you may want a deluxe double room rather than a standard room for more comfort, but do not wish to have meals included because you’d rather explore the city’s great offer of restaurants. In this case, you can choose your room and options directly on our platform!
Pick the best hotel in the city, specially selected for you
Our experts at Trazler have put together a useful guide for booking the best hotels in New York. Read our dedicated article now to find out what are the best hotels in the city, then simply select your chosen hotel directly on our platform!
New York is a popular travel destination for Irish travellers from Dublin. However, there are a few things to consider before flying to New York. Hopefully, this article will have equipped you with all the key information for preparing and booking your trip.
Firstly, make sure you book well in advance and have applied to an ESTA or Visitor Visa.
Next, book your flight from Dublin to New York along with your airport transfers. Follow our useful tips to make your life a whole lot easier.
Finally, pick the New York accommodation best suited to your needs thanks to our smart and efficient online booking platform. Check room availability and options, and you’re ready to go!
Head to our website now to make your flight and hotel booking from Dublin to New York now! We’ve got you covered!